Active Ribbon Microphone With switchable response curves for voice and music.
Hand crafted in Tucson, AZ USA Made in the U.S.A
Modern technology elevates a classic sound
From direct RCA* lineage, the Cloud 44-A microphone reawakens the spirit of the classic RCA Type 44 ribbon mic for today?s applications. Internally within the Cloud 44-A, the ribbon itself remains unchanged, handcrafted to specifications first prescribed in the 1930s by RCA?s Harry F. Olson. Everything else has been engineered anew, however, using 21st century improvements transcending the capabilities of Olson?s time. Utilizing Cloud?s award-winning, patented Cloudlifter circuitry with its unique features and ultra-clean characteristics, the 44-A is an active ribbon mic with personality from the past plus all the strength and clarity required for today?s most demanding tasks.
Voice or Music?
The Cloud 44-A is the first and only active ribbon microphone with switchable Voice/Music response curves, reminiscent of the early RCA mics, for controlling proximity effect. The patent pending technology, a switchable interface that?provides dual frequency response voicing in an active ribbon microphone, is very useful in a wide variety of scenarios. Voiceover artists and singers can use
the ?Voice? setting to instantly reduce the large bass proximity effect associated with being close to the microphone. The ?voice? position can also be useful for reducing intense low frequencies when using the mic to capture an instrument at close range, or where they may be rumble or vibration noise present. Of course, some vocalists will prefer the larger bass response at close proximity, so having the switchable interface affords the user a microphone with two distinct voices, inviting the special sound of a ribbon microphone to be used on a variety of new sources that may not have otherwise be desirable.
The Cloud 44-A requires phantom power and has an output level compatible with virtually any modern preamp. Included is the Cloud U1 shockmount, a beautiful handcrafted wooden box and a microfiber mic cover, designed to properly store and clean the microphone.
- Figure 8 polar pattern, excellent side null rejection
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to above 20 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 138 + dB SPL above 1 kHz
- Output Sensitivity: -27 dBv/Pa
- Phantom Powered “Cloudlifter” Class A, Discrete Circuity
- Ribbon element dimensions: .19 inches wide, 2.35 inches long, 1.8 microns thick
- New mount offers 180 degree range of motion
- Internally shock mounted
- Built in XLR connector
- 2 year ribbon warranty
- Free limited lifetime warranty on all other parts, with registration
- Handmade entirely in the USA
*RCA is a registered trademark of Radio Corporation of America. References to RCA are historical in nature and imply no affiliation with Cloud Microphones.
Award Winning International Artist Gabriel Ayala discusses recording Classical Guitar with the Cloud 44-A ribbon mic
Cloud 44-A Active Ribbon Microphone Specs
- Polar pattern: Fig 8 w/ -31db null at 90°
- Dimensions: 7.75” x 3” x 1.75”
- Weight: 1.07lbs
- Generating Element: 1.8 Micron Ribbon
- Frequency Response: 20 HZ – > 20kHz
- Output Sensitivity: -28 dBv/Pa
- Max SPL: 136 dB > 1kHz
- Out Impedance (in Ohms): 150 ohms
- Recommended Load (in Ohms): 1kohm or greater
- Powering Type: +48v Phantom Power
- Powering Alternative: +24v Phantom Power
- Supply Current: 4mA
- Connection Via: XLR
- Filter Frequency: 80Hz
- Supplied Accessories: Cloud U1 Shockmount, Wood Case, Mic cover
Date of RoHS Compliance:
March 1, 2010
Statement Updated for RoHS II: May 18, 2015
To Cloud Microphones Customers in the European Union:
Directive 2011/65/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 8 June 2011 on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment (the “RoHS Directive”) restricts the use of the hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment. The policy of Cloud Microphones is to comply with all applicable laws of all jurisdictions where our products are distributed, including the RoHS Directive.
Cloud Microphones maintains a rigorous program designed to ensure compliance of all its products with the RoHS Directive, and takes the following measures, among others, as we have deemed appropriate:
- Maintains official confirmation and certification from suppliers as to compliance of their parts and other materials with the RoHS Directive
- Performing material content testing
- Where applicable, new compliant materials replaced non-compliant material
- Maintains inventory and records to confirm, document, identify, and segregate compliant products and materials from non-compliant products and materials
- Maintains parts manufacturing and processes that are 100% RoHS compliant for every product
- Appropriate labeling of products (or packaging)
Based on our RoHS Directive compliance program, Cloud Microphones certifies to you that to the best of our knowledge all Cloud Microphones products marketed by Cloud Microphones or Cloud Microphones’ authorized distributors in the European Union, on or after March 1, 2010, are in compliance with the RoHS Directive and RoHS II.