Active Gain for Dynamics and Ribbons
It’s all about gain and impedance. While some of the best sounding microphones out there are low-output dynamics and ribbons, pre-amplification can be challenging due to the gain and impedance requirements. Cloudlifters address this by giving passive microphone signals a major inline boost -up to +25db of ultra-clean gain- while properly loading the microphones’ transformer for optimal performance.
The Cloudlifter® CL-1 is completely self contained, driven only by the phantom power from your mixer or preamp. Ideal for dynamics and ribbons alike, the CL-1 turns phantom power into the extra gain required for using passive microphones. The immediate dose of extra gain can make even a budget microphone/preamp combination sound clean and professional. For broadcasting and live sound, the active output signal of the CL-1 can prevent added noise over long cable runs. With endless uses, Cloudlifters are quickly becoming a standard workhorse solution for audio and broadcast professionals.
A Must-Have Tool for Dynamics and Ribbons!
Cloudlifter CL-1 Mic Activator is an easy to use, compact solution for common audio problems faced in the field and in the studio. Designed for all passive microphones – including ribbons- the CL-1 safely uses any standard phantom powered microphone input device to provide up to +25db of ultraclean, transparent gain.
Cloudlifters dramatically improve the performance of passive microphone signals by driving stronger, cleaner signals over longer XLR cable runs,making them ideal for broadcast, live, and studio applications. Enclosed in a rugged steel enclosure offering excellent shielding, the CL-1 additionally has provisions for stage or stand mounting with the included strap.
Using patent pending technology that keeps the direct audio path free-andclear of transformers, capacitors, and resistors, the CL-1 houses discrete JFET circuitry that delivers world class, ultra-clean gain while preserving the natural sonic characteristics of the source.
Cloudlifters are recommended for improving the signal to noise ratio and performance of passive microphone/preamp combinations with the following:
– Recording direct into a DAW interface
– noisy or low gain preamps
– mixers/preamps that negatively impact the sound at higher gain setting
– passive ribbon microphones
– low-output dynamic microphones
– miking softer sound sources such as acoustic instruments and voice
– long cable runs (output)
– Gives passive mics up to +25dB additional active output
– Provides 2 distinct stages of ultra-clean gain
– Easy to use self contained design requires only phantom power
– Recommended for use with all passive dynamic microphones
– Compatible with tube, battery, or power supply driven microphones
– Safe for all passive ribbons with no transfer of phantom
– Utilizes Patent Pending Class A, Discrete JFET circuitry
– Ideal impedance loading for optimal performance @3Kohms
– Rugged, road ready and portable, for studio, stage and broadcasting
– Free lifetime limited warranty for parts and labor, with registration
– Handcrafted entirely in the USA
Like all Cloud® Microphones products, the Cloudlifter® Mic Activator® series is handcrafted using environmentally friendly methods, entirely in the USA.
Official Cloud Microphones CL-1 product information video
Video Demo Review by “Some Audio Guy” (voiceover with SM57/Zoom recorder)
Video Demo Review by “Paul Stick Annis” (Voiceover with SM7b/Apogee Duet)
- Cloudlifter Series – Sound On Sound
- Cloudlifter CL-1 Review – Recording Hacks
- Cloudlifter CL-1 Mic-activator – TapeOp
- Cloudlifter CL-2 Review – Recording Hacks
Hello, and thank you for purchasing a Cloud Microphones Cloudlifter Mic Activator. We look forward to making lots of beautiful music with you!
The Cloudlifter is equipped with a phantom powered JFET circuitry that provides 20-25db of clean, quiet, extra gain for any passive microphone. It is extremely useful for cutting down noise in situations where your microphone is has low output, your preamp is noisy, or there has been extra noise introduced into the signal path through long cables.
Please take the time to read through this quick user’s guide to censure that you get the most out of your Cloudlifter.
- Connect the output of Cloudlifter (the Mal XLR jack to the right of the Cloudlifter logo) to a preamplifier, mixing console or any other source that is capable of supplying phantom power. If you are using very long or multiple cables connected to one another, they should be on this (the output) side of the Cloudlifter.
- Connect the accompanying input (the female XLR jack to the left of the Cloud logo. to any PASSIVE microphone (ribbon, dynamic, crystal or otherwise). The phantom power will not pass through the Cloudlifter to the microphone. Conversely, it cannot be used with the phantom powered microphones.
- Turn phantom power on.
- The Cloudlifter come with a strap for firmly mounting on a stand and additionally has fee for tabletop and stage use.
- Always use quality cables in good repair to avoid ground hums or shorts. If you are experiencing hum or radio interference, try another cable.
- Keep the Cloudlifter in a dust free area when not in use.
- Do not disassemble the Cloudlifter, as there are no user-serviceable parts inside, and doing so will void the warranty.
Feel free to contact us anytime with questions or concerns.
Be sure to register your Cloudlifter on the website!